Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Tax forms, assistance available

The 2013 tax forms have begun to arrive and will be available at all library branches as they are received. Please note that the 1040 forms (A, EZ, etc.) probably won't arrive until late January, due to revisions (and the government shutdown in 2013), and probably all forms scheduled to be sent to the library won't arrive until late February. While the library receives some federal tax forms and instructions to hand out to patrons for free (while supplies last), we don't receive every federal form/instruction booklet. Call your local library (540.422.8500) in advance to see if the form you are seeking has arrive. 

Also, as usual, we will not get any Virginia state tax forms or instructions

Any form not available at the library will cost you $0.15 per page, to print out from the Internet. If you have a computer and a printer at home, save yourself a trip to the library and print them out (for free) at home. 

Tax Assistance

  • IRS: The IRS provides tax help for individuals. Just call 1-800-829-1040.
  • The Foundation for Tax Assistance: Beginning in February (Feb. 1 - April 10) elderly and low-income residents may make appointments to meet a volunteer at any library branch; volunteers will help eligible patrons complete the filing of their 2013 tax returns. Call (540) 422-8465 to make an appointment.
  • People, Inc.: Free income tax preparation for area residents with incomes at or below $52,000 (Feb. 1 - April 12). Appointments are available on Saturdays, 10:00 – 4:00 and Tuesdays, 5:00 – 8:00 at the St. James Episcopal Church. Call (540) 445-3020 to make an appointment and be sure to bring the following documents:
    • Photo ID
    • Social Security/ITIN  cards for the taxpayer, spouse and all dependents
    • Birth dates for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents
    • Wage and earnings statements: W-2, W-2G, 1099-R from all employers
    • Unemployment compensation , Form 1099-G
    • Interest statements from banks and dividend statements from stock
    • Miscellaneous income statements
    • Day care expenses paid for day care in 2013 and the day care provider’s name, address and federal ID number
    • Student loan interest payments
    • Record of tuition or student loan payments, 1098-E
    • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns
    • A check from your checking account or deposit slip from your savings account if you want to use for Direct Deposit for your  refund
    • If filing electronically and married filing a joint return, both spouses must be present
    • Not sure if you should bring something? Bring it along, so you won’t have to come back at another time!

~Alison, Electronic Resources Librarian

To learn more about the Fauquier County Public Library's collection, events or programs, visit us on Facebook, Twitter or online.

No comments:

Post a Comment